General Terms & Conditions for Visitors
- Te Paranui is a private property and only open to visitors on open days or special events, functions and school groups. Outside this times visitors are not allowed to enter the premisses without prior approval.
- By entering the premisses of Te Paranui you are in agreement with the current terms & conditions which might change from time to time.
- Every visitor has to sign in at the visitors welcome desk with full name, cellphone, address and email address. This register will also be used for covid contact tracing if necessary.
- A Koha box is provided at the welcome desk. Please leave your koha there.
- Te Paranui Animal Sanctuary reserves the right to change koha recommendation, opening days, hours of operation and related terms and conditions at any time without prior notice.
- Any kind of donations are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Refunds of Koha for casual visiting will not be issued in the case of wet or poor weather. Please check the weather forecast before you visit.
- Private events can be rescheduled due to poor weather to another date by the host and/or customer with a 48 hours notice period. The customer and the host have the right to withdraw the booking if the weather condition/forecast changes within 48 hours of the event to severe rain, storm or flooding. In this case the host reserves the right to deduct payment for already prepared food items from the refund.
- Children under 14 years must be accompanied and supervised by an adult, aged 18 years or over, at all times unless they are part of the school visit program.
- The operation may be affected by adverse weather conditions or maintenance activity.
- No animal products for consumption (meat, fish, eggs, diary and products from diary), alcohol or illegal drugs of any type are to be brought on to the premises.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the premises.
- No glassware or sharp objects are to be brought on to the premises.
- No animals from visitors are permitted inside the sanctuary grounds, with the exception of assistance animals with prior approval.
- No scooters, skateboards, bicycles, roller blades, skates or motorised vehicles are permitted inside the sanctuary grounds.
- No noise amplifiers, speakers, megaphones or musical instruments of any nature are permitted on the property, unless prior approval has been arranged.
- No litter is to be left by a visitor. Please take absolute anything back that you brought with you on your visit, any kind of packaging, food wraps, drinking container etc. We do not provide a litter box nor a rubbish disposal service.
- The venue reserves the right to inspect your bags at any time for security purposes.
- Visitors may not display anything that contains obscene, foul, profane, illegal or unacceptable language, photos, images, symbols or phrases.
- Te Paranui reserves the right to refuse entry or remove visitors from the property at any time. Reasons may include, but are not limited to, vandalism, stealing, offensive or violent behaviour, queue jumping, failure to properly supervise persons under your care, failure to follow safety instructions, rude or abusive treatment of our staff, or failure to comply with any of these Conditions of Entry. Such actions may result in immediate eviction from the venue without a refund. Additional action may include Police involvement and/or venue ban.
- After signing-in make yourself familiar with the health & safety rules that are posted at the welcome desk. Our Animals are all friendly however there is always a chance that an incident can happen. Minimise the risk to get injured by reading and obeying our health& safety rules!
- You, by your participation, accept the inherent risks of which a reasonable person is or should be aware when interacting with animals.
- Footwear and clothing must be worn at all times.
- It is the responsibility of our visitors to remain on designated pathways and to keep an eye out for naturally-occurring trip and fall hazards (i.e., sticks, rocks, pebbles, plants, etc.).
- ALL GATES HAVE TO STAY CLOSED during your visit. Do not open any gates other than the gate to the visitors area and the pet zone. You can have a walk around our Permaculture Gardens but you have to supervise your children at all times! Te Paranui is a private property. Show respect to our residents and DO NOT go near the main house or the sleep out.
- Vehicles are only to be parked in the designated areas and are parked on Te Paranui property at your own risk. The sanctuary will not be responsible for loss of or damage to any vehicle, accessory or contents in, or on any vehicle.
- Visitors are responsible for their own personal property when on Te Paranui Sanctuary grounds. The sanctuary will not be responsible for the loss of, theft or damage to any personal property.
- Visitors must obey all written or verbal instructions or warnings given by Te Paranui Animal Sanctuary staff or volunteers without objection.
- Visitors are not to sit, stand or climb on fencing or barriers under any circumstances, nor attempt to enter any animal enclosures including the paddocks.
- Visitors must not enter ‘Staff Only’ or ‘Private’ areas for any reason or at any time, unless under the instruction and direct supervision of a Te Paranui Animal Sanctuary staff member.
- To ensure the safety of staff, visitors or animals, Te Paranui has the right to close the sanctuary or any part thereof (including animal enclosures), at any time it is deemed necessary and will not be liable for any loss or expense occurred by visitors as the result of such closure.
- If a visitor sustains injury as a result of not following safety instructions, failing to comply with any of the Conditions of Entry, or acting in an inappropriate or unsafe manner, Te Paranui Animal Sanctuary is not liable for personal injury, loss or damages.
- A member of staff is always present at Te Paranui Animal Sanctuary during the opening hours or events to assist with a first aid kit but is not permitted to administer any medication. For any incidents or health events requiring advanced first aid, medical or emergency attention, Visitor/s will either be referred to the nearest GP clinic or emergency services will be called.
Interacting with Animals
- Visitors must not bang, kick or hit walls or fencing. Visitors must not yell, shout, scream, clap, or make other loud noises in an attempt to wake, or get the attention of any animal.
- No part of the body, or items such as sticks, selfie sticks or umbrellas, are to be extended into the enclosures and paddocks for any reason.
- When in any free-range animal area, visitors are to walk at all times and approach animals in a quiet manner. Free-range animals are not to be held or restrained at any time or for any reason. Our animals must be free to move away from visitors at all times, and must never be chased.
- Any visitor seen to be interacting with any animal in an inappropriate or unsafe manner may be evicted from the property.
- Children under 14 years must be supervised at all times by an adult.
- All animals can carry diseases which may be transmitted to people. Please ensure you wash your hands with soap and water after handling or interacting with animals, and before eating and drinking.
- Some of our animals may not be visible at all times. Refunds or revisits will not be issued due to animals being out of view.
Photography & Videography
- Any photographs, videos or sound recordings taken by visitors at Te Paranui Animal Sanctuary must be for personal use only. Any use, reuse or production for commercial purposes is not permitted, without express written approval by us.
- Te Paranui reserves the right to photograph visitors at any time for security purposes, or for use in connection with promotional activities and general commercial operations of the sanctuary. You expressly agree to the use of your image and likeness for these purposes without compensation.
Te Paranui is part of Initiative Care Ltd, a NZ limited company and currently not registered as a not-for-profit organisation. All donations made are non-tax deductible. Te Paranui Animal Sanctuary is the beneficiary of all donations, with proceeds used for the animals in their care.